During the past several years, various merchants, event centres, big-box stores, medical facilities, and even residential homeowners have started contracting the construction of modernised polished concrete floors. However, it’s important to understand exactly why:
- Long Lifespan: Polished concrete floors are incredibly rigid, sturdy, and durable, not to mention the fact that they never need to be replaced. As such, this reinforced flooring solution can last many decades without requiring incessant repairs and refurbishments.
- Reduced Maintenance: Due to the largely seamless construct and uniform façade, polished concrete floors are eco-friendly and eliminate the need for waxes, coatings, and varnishes, which reduces ongoing upkeep and maintenance requirements. Plus, they are also impermeable to allergens, moisture, dust, and dirt, the common scourges of alternative flooring solutions.
- Affordability: From the upfront installation fees to the actual polished concrete cost of materials, the top-to-bottom construction process is actually very cost-effective when compared to the more popularised flooring solutions of today, such as timber or vinyl. There are no acrylics, epoxies, undercoats, or veneers, the elements that usually skyrocket labour costs and material expenditures.
- Aesthetic Appeal: Polished concrete floors are highly reflective and come in a wide range of textures, hues, and colours, which makes them the perfect solution for anyone looking to project a bright, sanitary, and professional aura.
- Versatility: From large warehouses and auto showrooms to private residences, office buildings, hotels, and restaurants, polished concrete is widely regarded as one of the most adaptable and innovative flooring solutions nowadays.
If you happen to be interested in contracting the construction of polished concrete floors sometime in the near future, the onus is on you as a diligent, prudent homeowner to partner with a reputable, resourceful installation company as opposed to some fast-talking, novice contractor. With this notion in mind, feel free to use the salient details shown below as a checklist of sorts to aid your research efforts.
First of all, you’ll want to ensure that your entire shortlist is comprised only of firms that have been in the business for at least 15 years, ideally with an in-house polished concrete specialisation. Although this might seem a bit unwarranted, it’s important to insulate yourself from the pop-up companies and self-proclaimed construction mavens that seem to be running rampant in today’s landscape.
Open and Honest Approach
Apart from ensuring a long-standing company history, you’ll also want to pay close attention to each firm’s forthrightness and candour by looking for the following aspects during your research:
- Comprehensive list of past clients and customers
- Inclusive assortment of testimonials, reviews, and first-hand accounts
- Full-blown portfolio of past works, ideally with an ample gallery of hi-def photographs
- Informative “About Us” section
- Easy-to-use enquiry portal for no-obligation quotations
The most distinguished companies in the polished concrete arena tend to go above and beyond for their clients by providing a fully customisable “Create Your Own Floor” platform directly on their website. This intuitive app allows you to imagine, design, and fabricate your very own flooring solution from start to finish, essentially allowing you to see a picturesque depiction of the final product in all of its splendour, which is a huge boon for any first-time polished concrete customer.
With this valuable checklist at your disposal, you’re more than ready to make a great hire!